A Tradition Of Experience And Devotion To Family Law

Relocation And Custody Order Modifications

Nearly every family law firm boasts of the lawyers’ ability to handle relocation matters when a custodial parent wants to move out of the area, along with a child who sees the non-custodial parent on a visitation or shared parenting basis. But not every family law firm has the experience, confidence and skilled lawyers necessary to address complex custody cases, including international move-away situations.

At the Virginia family law firm of Barnes & Diehl, our attorneys represent parents in relocation cases. Contact us to schedule a consultation. A separated or divorced mother or father with custody of children may believe it is necessary or wise to take the child out of state or even out of the country for reasons such as the following:

  • Career
  • Family
  • Medical treatment
  • Education

In such circumstances, the non-custodial parent is likely to object, believing that parent-child bonds will suffer – or that the move is not in the best interests of the child for other reasons. Our attorneys represent parents on either side of the coin: custodial parents who believe they need to move, and non-custodial parents who seek to block the relocation of the child or children.

We Handle International Custody Cases

Our clients in international custody and visitation cases have included parents seeking to move or to block moves to Canada, Spain, Germany, Czechoslovakia, England and Japan. We collaborate with law firms abroad as necessary to help enforce child custody orders. Our lawyers are members of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, where we cultivate contact with overseas family law attorneys.

In some complex international child custody and visitation cases, we coordinate efforts involving foreign law firms and the U.S. State Department. We review and apply the Hague Convention as we carefully craft documents designed to enforce the safe return of children who had been taken abroad by errant parents in defiance of custody orders.

Contact A Virginia Family Law Attorney Regarding A Move Away Or Relocation

An attorney from Barnes & Diehl, is a valuable source of information and assistance for parents involved in out-of-state or international cases involving child custody, child visitation and/or child support cases. Our team approach offers value to our clients with other legal issues involved, such as complex equitable distribution in divorce, or military child custody and/or divorce.

Talk with a Virginia attorney about how to protect your parent-child bonds when a custodial parent’s move away is proposed or already in motion. Contact us at our Richmond/Chesterfield or Henrico offices today for a review of options and a mapping out of strategies. Call 800-626-9310​ or email us.