Family Law For Same-Sex Couples And Their Children
Virginia family law now protects same-sex marriages, but legal complications affecting such relationships often cause concerns for partners in the LGBT community. Examples include the following:
- How can you best protect yourself and your children when you are in a same-sex relationship – or when you are ending a partnership?
- What if you had a previous registered domestic partnership in another state? We can help you untangle the legal complications that still remain.
An experienced family law attorney can advise you of your options and help you maximize the protections available to you and your children under the law. Representing clients in Richmond and throughout Virginia for over three decades, the lawyers at Barnes & Diehl, P.C., have acquired the experience and resources to provide effective representation in all areas of family law.
Same-sex couples can count on a lawyer at our firm to provide them with compassionate, skilled and results-oriented counsel as we assist them in cases involving:
- Domestic partnership agreements or cohabitation agreements
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
- Adoption, including second-parent adoptions
- Surrogacy contracts and other legal aspects of assisted reproduction
- Dissolution of a domestic partnership
- Property division and debt distribution
- Child custody and visitation arrangements
- Child support
Virginia Lawyers Facilitating Shared Parenting Agreements
Same-sex parents face many of the same legal issues as heterosexual parents in the event of separation, with some of the most difficult issues being aspects of child custody and visitation. We work with clients to negotiate shared parenting arrangements that define the rights and obligations of the parents as well as the visitation or parenting schedules the parents will follow.
We focus on achieving solutions that are in alignment with the client’s goals while preserving the best interests of the children.